Peace/Shalom -- Where, What, How, Huh?

Jesus Christ rode the colt of a donkey into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday signifying that He came in peace.  The people welcomed Him with great joy and sang the prophetic words from Psalm 118:26

John 11:9 . . . Hosanna; Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord:
Within the week Jesus would be crucified and become the Passover Lamb. Their Suffering Messiah come to take away the sins of the world.  Not the Conquering Messiah they expected and regaled with Hosannas.

So, where was the peace in that?

I Timothy 2:1-3 I exhort therefore, that first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 

Look around we are not living anywhere in the world like this!!  So, what did Jesus mean when He said

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 
This passage certainly seems to contradict Jesus' words in this passage

Matthew 10:34-36 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.  35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.  36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.



I don't know about you; but, this is our life.  We hardly speak to a large portion of our family.  The issues are over the truth of God's Word for the most part.  We gave up trying to find a church for the same reason, lack of the Truth of God's Word.  Our country is in chaos.  The world is in chaos.  Despite all that, together, my husband and I have peace in our hearts, with each other and in our home. 

How, why?  It is the peace that Jesus placed in our hearts when we received Him as Savior.  It is the peace we will live in when Jesus returns to rule and reign this earth.

Have I had this peace always in my Christian walk?  No, but I have learned to guard it over the years and for the most part I stay at peace.

I try to remember I can't solve other peoples problems and when I've done my best to help them understand God's word and they refuse to follow it - then it is time for me to leave them in God's hands.  He is able.  I am not.  Often time that means no more fellowship with them.

I try to remember too

II Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 
When I find myself engaging in a thought process that is contrary to the Knowledge of God, which of course is the Holy Bible, which of course is Jesus Christ in print format -- I endeavor to cast it down and lock it out of my mental processes.

You can have a modicum of peace on this earth but the peace that Jesus is referring to is an eternal peace.  It is a peace that is found with His steady state in your heart.  It is a peace that is found perusing Him in print through the Holy Bible.  It is a peace found in obeying His word and leaving other people to Him.  You can only govern your own life and that is all that God ask you to do.  Yes, if your children are minors you have a duty and responsiblity to raise them in the way they should go.   But once they are grown you can not govern their lives anymore.  We are commanded to

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
You will have peace as you work on your "own" salvation.  No peace will come as long as you are trying to work out everyone else's salvation around you.  Not to be confused with sharing the Gospel.  You are to share the Gospel, but the choice to receive the Gospel lies with each individual. 

Jesus will be returning soon but not on a lowly donkey

Revelation 19:11-16 And I saw heaven opened and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. 12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. 16 And he hath on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.   
If you have not chosen Jesus Christ as your Lord and you make it through the Great Day of God's Wrath (Revelation 6:17), you will witness this with your eyes.  But today it is not to late to receive Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and be one of those seated on white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.  The peace of Jesus Christ can be yours today.  Chose wisely. 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entering the Gates and Courts of God

Pact with the Devil? Null and Void!! How?

What is in a name? "Twilight's" name game.